- July 18, 2014PhD student Jake Wall ('09-'11) uses GPS collars, Google Earth and algorithms he developed to help rangers protect elephants
- June 17, 2014The Times covers Liu Institute Visiting Fellow at Green College Chris Dolan at conference to end sexual violence in war (photo courtesy @LauraWestbrork, BBC)
- September 26, 2013Since September 2012, Green College has partnered with UBC TREK to support Green College residents in volunteering at Lord Strathcona Elementary School. Lord Strathcona is located in the heart of Vancouver’s Chinatown, and is the oldest elementary school in Vancouver.
- Audio recording of Jillian Christmas and Chris Gilpin (Play Chthonics: New Canadian Readings series)September 20, 2013On Wednesday, September 18, poetry-slam champion Jillian Christmas was joined by Chris Gilpin for live readings at Green College.
Incoming UBC grad students and postdocs:
Looking for a place to live on campus next year?
Green College at UBC is a place like nowhere else—a uniquely west coast Canadian “micro-academy” for people with creative energy to spare. The College supports a dynamic residential scholarly community, an array of co-curricular, public, cross-disciplinary programs, and a student-led agenda for social engagement at all levels from the local to the global. Its buildings occupy a forest-edge site with a view to the ocean and mountains, 5 minutes’ walk from the renowned Museum of Anthropology and the beach, convenient for the rest of the campus. All residence rooms were fully renovated in 2013-14.
You can expect: peer support from a small, close-knit community (total 100), split 50/50 Canadian/international (College motto: “Ideas and Friendship”). Great opportunities for art, music, sport, drama, volunteering. Easy access to faculty members outside your program and to TED-calibre visitors. Amazing natural and built environment. Private meal-plan, delicious food. All the benefits of “college” living… plus a top-flight university across the road!
We expect to admit 30+ new resident members for September 2014, selected for their academic (and other) excellence, and for their interdisciplinary interests. Applicants are welcomed from all academic and professional programs (including Juris Doctor). At least 12 entrance fellowships, each worth $2000, will be awarded. For more information, and to apply, click here. See highlights from the past year here.
- Green Visiting Professors Christine Chambers and Michael Sullivan rethink a chronic problem
- Award-winning poet Paul Munden examines his own life as a poet through the lens of Laurence Sterne's playful deconstruction of the storytellling process.
- September 08 8:00 pm - 9:00 pmLocation: Coach House, Green College, UBC
- Ayahuasca, Psychedelic Studies and Health Sciences: The Politics of Knowledge and Inquiry into an Amazonian Plant BrewSeptember 10 5:00 pm - 6:30 pmLocation: Coach House, Green College, UBCSpeaker: Kenneth W. Tupper, School of Population and Public Health , UBC; Beatriz C. Labate, Visiting Professor, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas, Mexico; Green College Society Member ('06-'07)
- September 15 8:00 pm - 9:00 pmLocation: Coach House, Green College, UBC