Green College, a residential facility for graduate students and a public venue for non-curricular academic and artistic presentations at the University of British Columbia (Vancouver), invites applications for the post of Canada Council Writer in Residence, with no limitation as to genre, for part of the school year 2017-18.
Applicants should have a record of publication in well recognized venues. Previous experience of mentoring and/or program organizing in comparable settings will be taken into account by the selection committee.
The appointed writer, who will be a Canadian citizen (or permanent resident of Canada) with a home address outside the BC Lower Mainland, will live at the College on the UBC campus for 3 months (Sept-Nov or Jan-Mar). Activities of the residency will comprise:
- the writer’s current work (at least 60%)
- presenting that or other work in public, plus organizing and hosting public activities at Green College with other writers, artists, scholars, etc. invited by the visiting writer with support from the College (25%)
- advising members of the UBC and wider local community on their own literary projects (15%).
The College will provide accommodation (suitable for double occupancy), partial board, office support, access to UBC IT and Library services, a stipend of Can $18,000 (before tax), paid monthly, and up to $1500 towards return travel expenses (economy class airfare). Some additional funding will be available for the public programming of the residency.
This appointment is contingent on the College’s obtaining funding from the Canada Council for the Arts under its author residency program. The first Canada Council Writer in Residence at Green College was Lynn Coady (1999-2000) and the most recent were Shyam Selvadurai (2011-12) and Erín Moure (2014-15). A writer taking up the appointment in early 2018 would participate in events to mark the 25th anniversary of the founding of the College in 1993.
Applicants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a CV
- writing sample (max. 25 printed pages)
- a letter setting out their reasons for wishing to join the Green College community, their qualifications for the residency, a plan of work, and a proposal for public programming at the College (two or more events with invited guests and with an overarching rationale)
They should also arrange to have two letters of reference sent under separate covers to the same mailbox.
Deadline for all materials is February 1, 2017. Inquiries may be addressed to the Principal of Green College, Dr. Mark Vessey at email@example.com