Earlier this summer, the ATLAS and CMS particle-physics experiments at the Large Hadron Collider announced the discovery of a new particle consistent with the long-sought Higgs boson, which constitutes the keystone of the Standard Model of particle physics. To explain the importance of this discovery, a short history of the theory behind it, accessible to the lay public, will be presented along with an overview of the means by which this result was obtained and the exciting questions that remain to be answered.
- The deadline is December 16, 2013 for receiving applications. The position offers the opportunity for one influential scholar, activist, artist, leader, or practitioner for a 4-month period, from September – Dec, or January – April.
- This new series gathers scholars from the humanities living and working along the North American Pacific coast to investigate the idea of “oecology,” an older spelling of the modern concept “ecology”.
- November 14, 2013The Scotiabank Giller Prize and Governor General's Award honours two Green College Writers-in-Residence.
- November 06, 2013Fakir created Space Launch Canada with a vision for BC as a destination for launching satellites and putting Canada on the space exploration map.
- September 26, 2013Since September 2012, Green College has partnered with UBC TREK to support Green College residents in volunteering at Lord Strathcona Elementary School. Lord Strathcona is located in the heart of Vancouver’s Chinatown, and is the oldest elementary school in Vancouver.
- Audio recording of Jillian Christmas and Chris Gilpin (Play Chthonics: New Canadian Readings series)September 20, 2013On Wednesday, September 18, poetry-slam champion Jillian Christmas was joined by Chris Gilpin for live readings at Green College.