Earlier this summer, the ATLAS and CMS particle-physics experiments at the Large Hadron Collider announced the discovery of a new particle consistent with the long-sought Higgs boson, which constitutes the keystone of the Standard Model of particle physics. To explain the importance of this discovery, a short history of the theory behind it, accessible to the lay public, will be presented along with an overview of the means by which this result was obtained and the exciting questions that remain to be answered.
- Green Visiting Professors Christine Chambers and Michael Sullivan rethink a chronic problem
- Michael Byers and Rob Huebert discuss sovereignty and security in the first in a series of cross-disciplinary, cross-sectoral presentations on changing realities and understandings of the Arctic
- July 18, 2014PhD student Jake Wall ('09-'11) uses GPS collars, Google Earth and algorithms he developed to help rangers protect elephants
- June 17, 2014The Times covers Liu Institute Visiting Fellow at Green College Chris Dolan at conference to end sexual violence in war (photo courtesy @LauraWestbrork, BBC)
- August 25, 2014Check back later this fall for blog entries from Green College Resident Members.
- September 26, 2013Since September 2012, Green College has partnered with UBC TREK to support Green College residents in volunteering at Lord Strathcona Elementary School. Lord Strathcona is located in the heart of Vancouver’s Chinatown, and is the oldest elementary school in Vancouver.