Earlier this summer, the ATLAS and CMS particle-physics experiments at the Large Hadron Collider announced the discovery of a new particle consistent with the long-sought Higgs boson, which constitutes the keystone of the Standard Model of particle physics. To explain the importance of this discovery, a short history of the theory behind it, accessible to the lay public, will be presented along with an overview of the means by which this result was obtained and the exciting questions that remain to be answered.
- Dr. Donald Fisher appointed Vice-Principal, Green College for three-year term, 2014-17.
- Ana María Martínez-Alemán, Professor of Education, Boston College, describes the challenges that universities face in protecting their democratic role in the face of increasing technological change.
- October 10, 2014Patricia Brosseau-Liard's (GC 08-09) study of kindergarten kids showed that there is a big difference in the ability of four and five year-olds in determining when adults are lying.
- October 09, 2014Dr. Judith G. Hall, OC, Emerita Professor, Departments of Pediatrics and Medical Genetics, UBC and Foundation Fellow of the College, is one of six inductees honoured at the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame in London, Ontario.
- August 25, 2014Check back later this fall for blog entries from Green College Resident Members.
- September 26, 2013Since September 2012, Green College has partnered with UBC TREK to support Green College residents in volunteering at Lord Strathcona Elementary School. Lord Strathcona is located in the heart of Vancouver’s Chinatown, and is the oldest elementary school in Vancouver.