Green College is offering weekly yoga and meditation open to both residents and non-residents of the College. The workshops are designed to help community members find greater peace, happiness and balance in their lives. The yoga classes are led by experienced teachers who offer instruction in Iyengar and Vedic practice, thus providing a variety of ways to improve one’s strength, flexibility and balance. The yoga practice is complemented by meditation sessions during which we explore a wide spectrum of techniques of mental cultivation—from basic concentration on the breath (shamatha) to insight meditation (vipassana) including developing body awareness, gratitude and compassion for oneself and others.
- Why do people make irrational economic decisions? Two experts - a behavioural economist and a computer scientist - provide answers
- Digital media are rapidly changing the exploration and creation of arts and culture. Artistic experimentation and cultural research have adopted a dazzling array of digital tools and technologies to make art and examine cultural practices. This series, co-sponsored by Green College UBC and the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies, UBC Okanagan, presents innovative artists and scholars from across North America who are pushing the boundaries of contemporary creative and critical practice.
- February 25, 2014J.B. MacKinnon talks about a possible future 'rewilded' Vancouver in an interview with UBC Creative Writing prof and Green College series co-convenor Deborah Campbell.
- February 04, 2014Kevin Leyton-Brown was awarded the 2014 Steacie Memorial Fellowship, while Makoto Fujiwara led the Canadian contingent on the ALPHA antimatter team awarded the Polanyi Award.
- September 26, 2013Since September 2012, Green College has partnered with UBC TREK to support Green College residents in volunteering at Lord Strathcona Elementary School. Lord Strathcona is located in the heart of Vancouver’s Chinatown, and is the oldest elementary school in Vancouver.
- Audio recording of Jillian Christmas and Chris Gilpin (Play Chthonics: New Canadian Readings series)September 20, 2013On Wednesday, September 18, poetry-slam champion Jillian Christmas was joined by Chris Gilpin for live readings at Green College.