This week’s screening will feature director Joseph Kosinski's high-tech feast for the senses, TRON: Legacy. The original TRON (1982) was one of the first science fiction texts to visually depict the metaphor of cyberspace as a physical place, and the 2010 sequel surpasses the original in pure spectacle and features a transcendental soundtrack by the legendary Daft Punk. Tying into the Resident Members' Series talk by English MA student Sunny Chan on techno-orientalism in cyberpunk literature, TRON: Legacy is on one level a silly Disney blockbuster, yet on a more surprising level a theoretically complex literalisation of the blurring line between cyber consumers and producers.
- Mark Vessey has been invited to the University of Bristol to give the Blackwell-Bristol Lectures 2013 at the Institute of Greece, Rome and the Classical Tradition.
- Dame Anne Salmond will give three talks on how different cultures define and communicate ways of being.
- May 07, 2013The Global Civic Policy Society presents a Public Salon on Wednesday, June 5 from 7:30-9pm at the Vancouver Playhouse. A diverse range of speakers from very different walks of life will each spend 7 minutes speaking about something they are passionate about.
- May 01, 2013Applicant Paul Yachnin (McGill University) and fifteen co-applicants including Green College Principal Mark Vessey received funding to begin their multi-disciplinary project entitled "Forms of conversion: religion, culture, and cognitive ecologies in early modern Europe and its worlds."
- April 26, 2013Green College resident Brittany Welsh describes how the daunting task of mounting four shows of Shakespeare's The Tempest helped and inspired her and her colleagues in ways she hadn't envisioned when she started down the Bard's path five months earlier.
- January 04, 2013Seven Green College students volunteered at Lord Strathcona Elementary School in East Vancouver as part of UBC’s Community Learning Initiative TREK program, matching groups UBC students with elementary schools in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, and helping with reading and writing lessons and tutoring students on a one-on-one basis.