view all NEWS >
view BLOG>



Applications for resident membership are considered by the College’s Membership Committee on a rolling basis. The Committee meets monthly to review complete applications (including all supporting documents) received by the 15th of the month. Applicants are notified of their application status approximately one calendar month after the month in which all application materials are received by the College.

Application can be made at any time, but those wishing to take up residence at the beginning of the academic year in September are encouraged to apply early. There are many more available spaces for this period, but also a higher number of applicants.

To apply for resident membership, applicants must complete the following steps:

  1. Apply to Green College via student housing. Apply online via the UBC Student Housing and Hospitality Services
  2. Send supporting documents. Applications will not be forwarded to the Membership Committee until all supporting documents have been received. Applicants should send the following documents to, Documents should be in a pdf format.
  • Current academic and professional curriculum vitae (C.V.);
  • For graduate student applicants ONLY, one (1) original post-secondary transcript per institution attended (copies that are sent directly from the applicant’s department at UBC will be accepted);
  • Two (2) academic letters of reference (copies of letters of reference used for application to the applicant’s department at UBC will be accepted if sent directly from the department); in the case of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar applications, one of these letters should be from a member of the UBC academic department, program, centre or institute with which the applicant is associated;
  • Personal statement of interest (500 words maximum. For guidelines, see Eligibility);
  • For graduate student applicants ONLY, a personal letter of reference in addition to the above. The letter should address the applicant’s interdisciplinary interests, extracurricular activities, and ability to contribute to a residential community such as Green College. The letter may be written by someone from outside academia, provided that person is aware of the applicant’s academic plans.
  • For applicants also applying for residence for their partner: If your partner is a UBC Graduate Student, Postdoctoral Scholar, or Visiting Scholar, s/he must submit a separate application. Otherwise, please include in your supporting documents an introductory letter from you for your partner, a personal statement from your partner (maximum 500 words with actual word count indicator included at bottom right of document), a current C.V., and a personal letter of reference.

Questions on the application process or required documents can be directed to the College’s Membership and Accommodations Coordinator at .